Read this interesting article on the Dulux website on how to paint doors.
Preparing to paint your interior doors? Here’s how to achieve a perfect finish.
1. Prepare the work area
There’s no need to remove interior doors from their hinges, so simply place a plastic sheet or newspaper underneath the door to catch any drips. Remove any doorknobs or locks and place in a safe place.
2. Sand the surface
Use a medium or fine grade sandpaper to get the door looking and feeling as smooth as possible. Its best to try and avoid making it look too ‘polished’ – the paint will stick better if the surface has a small amount of grip.
3. Prepare your materials
If you’re painting a flat door with no paneling or molding, we recommend you choose a 4-inch (10cm) brush or a small roller. Painting paneled doors? You’ll need a small 2-inch (5cm) brush. For more paintbrush tips and tricks, read our guide to choosing the perfect paintbrush here.
4. Dampen the surface
Use a cloth or a sponge to slightly dampen (not soak) the door surface. This trick will help to increase the time the paint takes to dry, giving you longer to apply it and reducing brush marks.
5. Apply the primer
Using a good quality primer like Dulux Wood Primer will help the paint glide on more smoothly. Apply one coat of primer suitable for wooden surfaces and let dry (check the drying instructions if you’re unsure how long it takes).
6. Start painting
Apply the paint in even, broad strokes across the surface of the door. If you can, try and avoid going back over surfaces already painted – this will help you create an even finish. We recommend applying two coats, allowing the paint to dry fully in between each coat. Once the door is painted and dry, replace your hardware and admire your handiwork!
You can also have a look at the following pages to learn more on how we can assist you:
- Painters Bantry Bay, Painters Bellville, Painters Bishops Court, Painters Brackenfell
- Painters Bloubergstrand, Painters Cape Town, Painters Camps Bay, Painters Claremont
- Painters Clifton, Painters Constantia, Painters Durbanville, Painters False Bay
- Painters Fish Hoek, Painters Franschhoek, Painters Fresnaye, Painters Gardens
- Painters Green Point, Painters Higgovale, Painters Hout Bay, Painters Kalk Bay
- Painters Kanonberg, Painters Kenilworth, Painters Kuils River, Painters Kommetjie
- Painters La Rochelle, Painters Loevenstein, Painters Llandudno, Painters Melkbosstrand
- Painters Milnerton, Painters Mouille Point, Painters Muizenberg, Painters Newlands
- Painters Noordhoek, Painters Cape Town Northern Suburbs, Painters Oranjezicht
- Painters Oude Westhof, Painters Paarl, Painters Pinelands, Painters Plattekloof
- Painters Plumstead, Painters Protea Valley, Painters Rondebosch, Painters Rosendal
- Painters Sea Point, Painters Simons Town, Painters Cape Town Southern Suburbs
- Painters Table View, Painters Tamboerskloof, Painters Three Anchor Bay, Painters Tokai
- Painters Tyger Waterfront, Painters Val de Vie Estate, Painters Van Riebeeckshof
- Painters Vredehoek.,